There are various benefits from orthodontic treatment which apply to both adults and children. These are sustainable, long term benefits which mean improved function and appearance of your teeth, and your dental health.
In the long term, orthodontics reduces the risk of tooth decay and gum disease. It will not prevent this entirely but it will minimise the risk.
The most obvious benefits are physical ones but there are patients who find that orthodontic treatment has a positive psychological effect as well.
The benefits of orthodontic treatment are:
- Improved positioning of the upper/lower teeth
- Removal of overcrowded teeth
- Correction of a ‘bad bite’: both jaws are perfectly aligned and the upper and lower teeth meet when closed.
- Remove or reposition impacted teeth
- Close any unsightly gaps between the teeth
- Realign the jaws/relieve clicking or painful jaws
It enables someone who was experiencing problems with eating or speaking to do so in a normal way. Plus it also means improved facial structure and appearance which boosts confidence and self-esteem.
These are all good reasons for undergoing orthodontic treatment.
Orthodontics also compliments other forms of dental treatment, for example dental implants or as a part of a smile makeover.